Kingsworth Bilingual Primary School offers a bilingual education in French and English. All the students take are taught in an even split of 50% English and 50% French. The school caters for children aged between 5 and 11 years, of any nationality, and applies the English and French national programmes tailored to the needs of children in a bilingual and international context.
The pedagogical approach takes into account the specific needs of each child and teaching takes place in both group and individual learning environments. The pupils are active in their own learning, within an interactive approach guided by teachers.
Classes are multi-national and taught in both English and French, with equal weight given to each language. The school is unique in that pupils not only learn a second language but also learn in that language, through full immersion.
- To develop the ability to think and learn bilingually in French and English.
- To facilitate mastery of basic skills in reading, writing, mathematical reasoning and calculation.
- To have a comprehensive understanding of the world through studies in History and Geography
- To foster a positive attitude towards learning.
- To achieve a balanced progression in all areas of learning.
- To encourage pupils to take responsibility for their learning and develop good working methods.
- To prepare pupils for successful integration into Secondary School by working closely with Middle School teachers.
- To nurture self-confidence, self-discipline, independence, social skills and respect for others.
- To become familiar with the use of ICT (computers, electronic boards, cameras etc.).
Unlike other schools, Kingsworth Bilingual Primary School, does not ask parents to choose a preferred or first language. Research suggests that if a child is to become truly bilingual then full immersion in both languages is the best possible route to take. We introduce reading and writing in both languages at an early age, with children learning them simultaneously, but with separate teachers. As far as possible, the English teachers will only ever speak English and the French teachers French. This does not mean that the other language will never be used. The teachers can decide when and where it is necessary to help the learning process. However they will try to avoid this wherever possible in order to reduce confusion within the full learning process.
Once the child has become proficient in both French and English and is fully at ease with switching from one to the other, Kingsworth Bilingual Primary School then offers the opportunity to learn a third language.
We like to involve our parents in the work that we do and encourage them to talk to their children in both languages, or if the parent is not bilingual, to learn alongside their child in the home environment.
Kingsworth Bilingual Primary School nurtures the truly bilingual child, the child that talks, reads, writes and thinks in both languages as he or she switches seamlessly from one language to the other.